It’s no laughing matter: NYC comedian Murray Hill has lost “virtually everything” after a fire at his apartment on Thanksgiving — which was also his 50th birthday.
One hundred and forty firefighters were on the scene for the four-alarm blaze, and six were injured. Hill — who has been living in the Brooklyn building for 20 years — was luckily out of town and no residents were injured.
According to a GoFundMe page, “Murray’s apartment is uninhabitable and he will need to start over. He has lost virtually everything from the roof over his head, to furniture, electronics, clothing, years of irreplaceable showbiz memorabilia, custom-made show suits, and so much more.”
The building has been evacuated due to smoke and water damage.
“Every donation, of any size, will help him cover the costs of relocating, furniture, appliances, clothing, rent, legal representation, storage space, bills, and more,” says the fundraising page.
The GoFundMe page has taken just days to exceed its $100,000 goal, and people are still continuing to donate.
Murray thanked the FDNY on Instagram for “their truly heroic efforts. They prevented even more tragedy,” he wrote.
Hill, also known as Mr. Showbiz, will be performing his annual show, “A Murray Little Christmas,” at Joe’s Pub this December.
His website states that he has shot scenes for Amy Schumer’s Hulu show “Life & Beth,” Bridget Everett’s new HBO show “Somebody Somewhere,” and Paul Feig and Jenny Bicks’ new Fox show “Welcome to Flatch,” all slated to appear next year.
“Drag king of comedy” Hill has toured with Le Tigre and Luann de Lesseps and emceed numerous burlesque shows.