Authorities said an 86-year-old Queens man was found dead in his home this week – possibly due to a fire from his space heater.
Police said a wellness check was done at James Murphy’s apartment at 194th Street near 504 Avenue in Flushing at 3:10 pm Thursday, and FDNY’s help was needed to get the door down.
Once inside, he was found to be octagonal unconscious and unresponsive, officials said.
EMS pronounced Murphy dead at the scene.
He was discovered with burns on his body and the chair where he was sitting – right next to a space heater – was also burned, police said.
His death did not appear immediately suspicious, but the city’s medical examiner’s office would officially determine the cause, according to police.