According to the Department of Justice, a former Nazi concentration camp guard, who had been living in the US since 1959, was sent to Germany on Saturday.
Frederick Karl Berger, 95, was removed from the US in 1945 based on his work as an armed guard at the Nengengme concentration campus campus near Hamburg. He had placed dozens of prisoners in the camp in a state of “tyranny”, working them to the point. According to court papers, “exhaustion and death.”
In March 1945, Berger also participated in a forced evacuation from the camp to escape British and Canadian troops. According to the DOJ, 70 prisoners were killed in a two-week forced march under “inhumane conditions” capable of tracing the role of the Berger to war, thanks to an index card that was a sunken ship It was found in the British after that bombing in May 1945.
“What are the chances, you know, after that card was alive … and made for us decades later?” Eli Rosenbaum, director of human rights enforcement strategy and policy for the DOJ, said in an interview Last year the washington post.
A longtime Berger, a resident of Tennessee who was still receiving a pension from Germany for his wartime service, is the 70th Nazi removed from the US, according to the DOJ.
“Attorney General Monty Wilkinson said,” The department provided evidence that our human rights and special rights were found in the Section Archives here and in Europe, including historical trials in Nuremberg of the most notorious former leaders of the Nuri regime. Statement Saturday. “In this year in which we mark the 75th anniversary of the Nuremberg Sentencing, this case shows that even after several decades, the department will not be prevented from doing justice on behalf of victims of Nazi crimes.”
Leave a Reply