The Nuggets had, at the very least, a big chance to send their game to Thursday to do overtime against the Wizards. On regulation’s final possession, he had the numbers and space for a wide-open, game-tying layoff.
Instead, Denver settled for a 3-point effort by Fesundo Camazzo for a badly missed victory. Denver lost 112–110.
More: All-Star debut, reserved for East, West
Nuggets took a 3 because:
– Jamal Murray picked up his dribble early on the 3-on-1 break and then had to pick one of the three nuggets that had gone to the 3-point line. (Monte Morris was a trailer.)
– One of those nuggets behind the arch, an un-guarded Michael Porter Jr., could have cut the basket, but did not.
Murray first tweeted that the play was on him and said he should shoot:
My fault nuggets country .. click on the next one .. with America !!
– Jamal Murray (@ BeMore27) 26 February, 2021
And then they followed an alternate angle of setup for the final play.
But Denver coach Mike Malone put it on Murray and Porter:
Michael Malone at the end of the game:
“We had a layoff. This is a three-on-one break. All Michael Porter must do is cut into the basket. All Jamal Murray has to do is push the ball and attack. But we didn’t get it … wasted opportunity there.# Budget
– Michael Spencer (@ MichaelCBS4) 26 February, 2021
Twitter coaches blamed both, along with:
If they were real analytical nerds, they would not take 3 on one layout. MPJ just a dumb sports maniac. Nothing to do with analytics.
– sam – (@sambrazy) 26 February, 2021
After watching this I blamed the MPJ several times, with Campazo and Morris filling the lanes properly, as the guard, the MPJ should have made himself available as an inside target while everyone else was stuck outside.
– LTPicks (@LT_Picks) 26 February, 2021
If the Nuggets were only playing to victory in that instance, they at least got an open look for Campazo. But Washington’s defense was badly pitched and had a wide 2 open to take. But Denver turned it down, and so it is now taking over in the Ls standings, on social media and from Charles Barclay:
We had just five minutes of the NBA on the TNT crew talking to the Nuggets about a fast-flying break.
It said Barclay, “They were weaker than all the rocks.”
– Matt Schubert (@MattDSchubert) 26 February, 2021