Malcolm X’s family has issued a letter stating that the NYPD was claimed by a deceased New York policeman and the FBI was behind the 1965 Harlem massacre of a civil rights activist.
A year after breaking ranks with the Nation of Islam, Malcolm X was shut down at Audubon Ballroom in Manhattan.
Three members of a black separatism group were convicted in the shooting.
On Saturday, some of Malcolm X’s daughters held a former undercover NYPD officer, Raymond Wood, at the site of the former hotel on 165th Street. Family members were joined by the late officer’s cousin, Reggie Wood.
In the letter, Raymond Wood allegedly wrote that NYPD supervisors pressured him to lure two members of Malcolm X’s security detail into the crime, leading to his arrest in the days before the worker was killed.
The letter stated that the arrests led to Lux Door security in the hotel ballroom and was part of a conspiracy between federal investigators and the New York Police in which Malcolm was killed.
“Under the direction of my handlers, I was asked to encourage leaders and members of civil-rights groups to commit hooliganism,” the letter said.
Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance said last year that his office would reopen the case to investigate long-held disputes by some historians and scholars that the wrong suspects had been arrested for murder.
In the wake of the letter, Vance’s office issued a statement saying “the review of the case is active and ongoing.”
The NYPD said it is cooperating in the prosecutor’s effort.
“The NYPD has provided all available records related to that case to the District Attorney. The department is committed to assisting that review in any way, ”Sergeant. Edward Riley wrote the Post on Sunday in a statement.
The FBI declined to comment.
Malcolm X’s daughter Ilias Shabazz said she always lived with uncertainty about the circumstances of her father’s death.
With post wires